Allegra/Alletta : patterns released!

I'm coming to the conclusion that the New Year (growing older so quickly!) is going to be the year when I stop promising myself that I'll do things, and actually take the steps to make them happen. Rather longer ago that I initially planned, I mentioned that I'd had a lot of fun on a photoshoot with Rachel, and shared some of the shots with you.



I can now explain that this is a shot of Alletta: a top-down oblique triangle shawlette worked mostly in stocking stitch, with a diamond lace edging. Named for my aunt, who has since received the sample, Alletta is a relatively simple knit, which grows quickly, and works well in a range of solid and semi-solid - or even, as you can see, self-striping - yarns! It takes about 400m of a fingering weight yarn.





But that's not all. Alletta is one of a pair of shawls, the other being Allegra. Using the same lace pattern, and knit from the top down once again, Allegra is a right-angled triangle shawlette with all-over lace work. Needing about 400m of fingering weight yarn, Allegra is a great use for a precious semi-solid yarn with a little drape. The sample shown here was knit using Artist's Palette Smoothie Sock, which is a beautiful, beautiful yarn, and very easy to work with.



Either of these shawlettes would be a great intermediate lace knit - whether you like a relatively plain knit in stocking stitch but with a bit of interest at the end, or whether you prefer to work out the lace pattern over a small number of stitches first, to gain familiarity before you embark on the bigger project.

The 'eBook' (Alletta/Allegra: a pair of shawls) can be found on Ravelry here for the princely sum of £3.00, or click the button below.

[First time I've used the button, so please let me know if there're any problems!]

Comments

Heather said…
What a beautiful shawl! I am working on my first shawl now in fact, but its very very simple! Stephanie from Millefeuille sent me your way because I am interested in historical knitting. I look forward to browsing your blog!~

Popular Posts